Sunday, January 11, 2015

Broken Barriers


A year ago my husband came to me saying that he had been praying and knew that we were called to go overseas for a short term mission trip in the coming year.  I was beyond thrilled! (I had been praying on this as well...not knowing that he had this call on his heart!)  My husband and I had not been able to go on any short term mission trips since high school because of work, getting married and.....having children.

We both knew the Lord was taking us into a new stage in our lives.

We prayed together and asked the Lord where we should go.  The Lord directed us and lead us to a place that is the home of an unreached people group.


 (Unreached people group :A people group is unreached when the number of Evangelical Christians is less than 2% of its population .http://public.imb.org/globalresearch/Pages/default.aspx)

As our trip grew closer I wondered what the Lord would do in our own hearts while overseas.  I didn't think I could make any sort of difference while I was there.  How could I relate to women in a completely different culture than my own?  What stories in my own life could make an impact when we are so different?  How could God possibly use me?  Why was He even asking me to go?  As these questions began to build up in my head, I told myself that God was probably just allowing me to go because he would use my husband.  My husband is so gifted with people and with teaching.  I was just happy to go along as his help mate.

The day arrived for us to leave.  We were going to be gone for ten days.  Our children would be without us for twelve of those days.  My youngest had only been away from me overnight for two nights of his entire life.  My heart was heavy but I knew that for some reason God had called both my husband and I to go.

We loaded up on the first international flight for both of us and learned what it meant to be on a plane for a very.....long....time.


We arrived in country and a journey began that would change our lives forever.  In the country that we visited the men and the women are not together often.  My husband and I spent very little time together on our trip.  Each day held a different adventure for both of us.  

On my first full day in country we were able to distribute sewing supplies and eye glasses to local women. 

 My Teammates 
(Ladies trying on glasses)

 It felt good to be able to give to these women who were using child scissors to cut yarn and fabric.  I felt like I expected to feel...glad to help.  I was blessed to be able to be among these precious ladies and looked forward to getting to know them.  I was also looking forward to seeing how God would use my team mates for His glory.  

On our second day we visited national believers and I was excited to meet fellow sisters!  We ate local food and had a good time of fellowship. 



What I didn't expect was that God would use my story to encourage two sisters in Christ.  Two women who I didn't think I could relate to.  Two women who I thought were so different from me. 

In the first sister's home she shared with us that her family had cut off her running water and electricity when she said that she had decided to follow Jesus.  To make matters worse her family also locked the near by well.  She said that she used to get angry with her family and yell at them when they would persecute her but the Lord had showed her to love and forgive them.  This sweet sister in Christ asked us to pray that the Lord would help her persevere.  

My thoughts went back to a time in my own life when my husband had lost his job and I was halfway through my pregnancy with our second child.  During that time fear ruled over me.  I was so angry that our income had been stripped from us.  In the midst of my ugly attitude, God showed me how to have joy in the midst of trials and to trust in Him to be our provider.  My thoughts drifted back to the present when my dear friend ,who lives in the country, asked us if one of us would like to pray over our sister.  I knew God was asking me to pray for her. (I am not one to volunteer to pray out loud normally so this was a big deal for me.)   I prayed and told my sister in Christ about the passage in Matthew that God showed me during my own time of need.  

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"
Matthew 6:25-26 NIV

My sweet sister in Christ is facing persecution that I have never known.  She is facing poverty that I had never seen before with my own eyes.  She has young children just like I do.  She works to provide for her family.  She loves her Savior and is willing to count the cost.  (Am I willing to count the cost?) I walked away from her home with a friendship.  God broke down barriers of language, culture and my own expectations.  I had the opportunity to share a small piece of what God had done for me with her.  I am sure I left with more encouragement that she did but my heart was so full of joy.  


The second sister served us a wonderful meal (which we ate with our hands!)  She asked us about our families and we asked about hers.  She told us that her husband was not a believer and asked that we would pray for him.  My friend who lives in country told the story of how my husband came to know Christ after he and I met.  She told her how I prayed fervently for his salvation.  A story I had only recently shared with my friend was passed on as encouragement to our fellow sister.  Our national sister asked if my husband was different now than he was then.  I was glad to tell her how much God had changed his heart.  Once again God broke the barriers that I thought were impossible to break. 

(We were offered spoons since we weren't so great at eating with our hands!)

Our journey continued and God did so much in our hearts. 





 I was so incredibly humbled by my experience.  God used my story to encourage fellow sisters.  It was something I never expected Him to do.  We were able to shine for Him like I never knew was possible.  In the midst of all my imperfection God decided to use me.  A girl from a small town with no big plans for the future.  I don't have anything to offer but He saw me.  During our time overseas God gave my husband and I a passion for the those who have never heard His name.  We came home knowing our obligation to share the gospel of Jesus with unbelievers.  To live a life according to His purpose.  

God can do what we think is impossible.

He can break the barriers that we put up.  

(Fear of talking to our neighbors, friends and loved ones about the gospel.  Fear of travel.  Fear of insignificance. Lack of knowledge. Lack of money.)  

I encourage you to pray, give and go.  


Are you willing to count the cost?  


Are you willing to be obedient to the call that God has given to every believer?  


Are you willing to trust God to break the barriers?

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:19-20 NIV 


No comments:

Post a Comment