Wednesday, July 23, 2014

To-Do Ta-Done Canister!

Two projects in one day!  This won't happen often...my kids actually kind of napped today.  (Stayed in theirs room singing to themselves is more like it but I digress.)


This is another recycle post because apparently I can't throw anything away.  Since we have little ones ranging from age five to age one in our house we go through a lot of Gerber Graduates snacks.


I thought these canisters would be useful for something so today we will transform this canister into a fun "To-Do Ta-Done!" canister for kids.  My five year old is at that wonderful age where helping around the house is more fun than a chore so I thought we could make it even more exciting for him!  Ha!  

Here is what you will need:

  • Canister/Container with lid.  (You will be cutting slits in the lid so make sure it is thin plastic if you decide not to use a Gerber Graduate canister.)
  •  Construction paper
  • Roll of clear wide tape (or you can laminate the construction paper and tape underneath.)
  • Markers
  • Popsicle Sticks (Large)
  • X Acto Knife 
Step One:
Cut small slits in the top of the lid with an x acto knife/box knife.  I did eight but I believe you could do up to ten. You might be able to even do twelve if you have extra good x acto knife skills. ;) 


Note: I actually made two To-Do Ta-Done Canisters. One for each child so the rest of my pictures will have a white lid. My daughters looked better on camera.  Haha! 

Step Two:

Cut construction paper to size and tape to canister to cover label.  The piece of construction paper will not go all the way around so you will need to tape a small piece in the back to cover the remainder of the label.   This would also be the time to place your child's name or stickers for decoration onto the paper.  

Step Three:

Take two long pieces of wide clear tape and cover construction paper to hold in place and also to protect the paper so it doesn't rip in the future.

 Step Four:

Color half of your popsicle stick and label with the chore of your choice.  Color the other half and label DONE! I made all the "Done" side the same color so when I look at it at a glance I will know immediately if my kiddos completed their assigned task.    


When your child completes a task let them turn over their popsicle stick!  They will be very pleased when they see all the "DONE" sides upright.  


Have fun!  

-Hadassah






No comments:

Post a Comment